This is a minor, housekeeping-related post, to which you do not need to pay any attention if you don't want to.
The following changes have been made to PATSP posts recently:
- The blogger Aerelonian's name was spelled as Aerolonian in previous references; this is now spelled correctly.
- The plant previously identified as Aloe 'Dapple Green' is presently thought to be Aloe 'Dorian Black;' names have been changed to reflect this. (UPDATE: Name subsequently changed to 'Doran Black')
- Due to a plant tag which used a font where lowercase "G" and "Q" looked the same, I have been thinking that Asplenium antiquum was Asplenium antiguum for a really long time. References to the plant are now spelled correctly.
- I was misspelling Bougainvillea as "Bouganvillea;" posts have been updated with the correct spelling.
- Previous mentions of Cissus voineriana have been updated, and spelling corrected, and now give the plant's name as Tetrastigma voinierianum.
- The Dracaena deremensis variety for which I had no name and was calling "Warneckei Compacta" is now thought to be, probably, 'Jade Jewel;' posts have been edited to reflect this new belief but may change again at some point.
- There were also a couple references to Dracaena deremensis 'Warneckii,' which have been changed to 'Warneckei,' though one does see both fairly often, and I'm not necessarily positive that the -ei ending is correct.
- The plant I was calling Kalanchoe daigremontiana is probably more correctly Bryophyllum daigremontianum; although I find this personally distasteful for some reason, I went ahead and changed that too.
- Ludisia discolor was renamed as Haemaria discolor, which appeared to be the current "correct" name. And then it was changed back, when Andrew told me that no, it wasn't the correct name. So that whole thing was all a big waste of time.
- Peperomia pereskiifolia was previously identified as Peperomia verticillata, which was wrong. (I always thought the pictures didn't look quite right. . . .) This is now fixed.
- Philodendron 'Imperial Red' was previously misidentified as P. 'Black Cardinal.' This has been corrected.
- Earlier posts had Scaevola misspelled as Scaveola, and have been corrected.
- The Solenostemon scutellarioides variety 'Dappled Apple' was called 'Dapple Green' in the Solenostemon scutellarioides profile, because I glitched and confused it with the Aloe cultivar 'Dapple Green,' see above, which the name 'Dapple Green' wasn't right for the Aloe either and basically this means that any time I call something 'Dapple Green,' you should not believe me.
- Yucca elephantipes has been corrected to Yucca guatemalensis, which is currently the correct name. As far as I know.
- References to Zygocactus have been replaced with Schlumbergera.
Changes NOT made to PATSP posts recently:
- I did NOT change references to Dracaena deremensis to Dracaena fragrans, even though I'm occasionally seeing people saying stuff like "Dracaena fragrans Deremensis Group," and this makes me think that maybe I ought to. But they still look like different species to me. So I'm not ready to go there yet.
- I also did NOT change Dizygotheca elegantissima to the more correct Schefflera elegantissima, though I'm at least trying to include both names when I post about the plant. I am not ready to give up "Dizygotheca."
- Ivynettle says Dracaena marginata is D. reflexa var. angustifolia, which strikes me as being just crazy talk.
Plants in the genus Fittonia may or may not be given the correct species names; I see F. verschaffeltii, F. argyroneura, F. albivenis, and maybe one or two other names being thrown around with wild abandon and am completely unable to make sense of any of them. If I figure it out at some point, I'll let you know.UPDATE: Since writing this, I have become more or less convinced that Fittonia albivenis is the correct name for cultivated varieties of Fittonia.
- Pilea 'Moon Valley' is sometimes presented as a cultivar of P. involucrata or P. mollis. I have no good guess on its ancestry, and decline to take a side, so I'm just calling it P. 'Moon Valley' for now.
- When it comes to the Aloe vera / Aloe barbadensis fight, I am firmly in the barbadensis camp, though that doesn't mean I'm convinced I'm right
, or even that I'm convinced that they're not separate species (haven't really investigated yet). Mostly it means that I like saying "barbadensis."UPDATE: Sadly, I guessed wrong, and A. vera is correct.
- I am so far resisting the pressure to change Solenostemon scutellarioides to Plectranthus scutellarioides, mostly because, as with Dracaena deremensis / D. fragrans, it just doesn't look like a Plectranthus to me.