Friday, January 30, 2015

Schlumbergera seedling no. 061

Not sure how I feel about the actual plant, but it was nice having a different color range to feed into TinEye. I got a number of unexpected things: chocolate pudding, some sort of oncology-related illustration, a dirt road in Oklahoma,1 some kind of event having to do with the North Carolina National Guard, and on and on like that.


But then I ran into this untitled photo, and it became clear that somewhere in this photo was the name I was looking for. The Flickr page doesn't give a lot of context, just that it's got something to do with Raw Artists Media, and Boise, Idaho, neither of which sound like great names to me, so I'm just going to describe what I see and that will be the name.


So: "Leather Fairy." I'm not 100% happy with this (it seems like it needs something more specific, or an additional word, or something), but it's the best I can do under the circumstances.


-

1 "Oklahoma Dirt Road" is certainly a name I'll be keeping in mind for future blooms. They have some strikingly colored dirt in Oklahoma (e.g.); I figure there has to be some overlap with Schlumbergera petals.


4 comments:

Claude said...

Urban fairy? But i do like the bloom, it's a nice change from the orange. Although I like the orange, its nice to have some variation...

mr_subjunctive said...

Claude:

Pretty much my feelings about it too. Orange is nice, but occasionally one wants not-orange.

#061A ages to something a little pinker than what these photos show, too. I don't have pictures of that, but I like it even better.

Ivynettle said...

I'll be so sad the next time I'm looking through seed/plant catalogues, because the names will be so boring compared to yours! If I could, I would buy all your varieties for the names alone.

Anonymous said...

Why not just Faerie Dusk? Or Faerie Dawn....since dusk out of context doesn't even seem to be a word.