Saturday, January 10, 2009

Random plant event: Neoregelia 'Gazpacho' flowering

Well, this was a surprise. I bought this plant in June, and not only has it grown conspicuously since then, and not only did it have an offset when I bought it, that I could separate, but it's now going to flower. This is especially unexpected because I thought the plants we received in June were young; I didn't expect any offsetting or blooming or anything for a long time, if ever.


I mean, I liked Neoregelias anyway, and this one in particular (I like the color and pattern), but now I really like it. I don't know if the actual flowers, when they emerge, will be in any way decorative -- I kind of suspect not, actually, based on the other Neoregelia flowers I've seen -- but that's not really the point.

Odd part is, none of the remaining 'Gazpachos' at work are doing this. Somehow only my plant got the signal.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice pattern! Now if only the plant was a mini (under 6" in diameter)and stayed that way. *sigh*

Any chance that perhaps you have a source of ethylene gas (from ripening fruit like apples for example) in your abode? If you do, that could well have been the trigger.

Lance said...

Maybe it just likes you better.