Saturday, August 8, 2009

The houseplant tournament: final match

So it's come down to this. Yucca guatemalensis vs. Aglaonema cvv. The final battle. One will reign supreme, the other will run home crying. Or something like that. I don't watch much WWE, so I don't know how the wording is supposed to go. But you know what I mean. Big battle, yada yada. Explosions. Macho posturing. Posterboard signs about ass-kicking. Excessively loud music. Women in bikinis. Etc.

For the contest proper, I don't think there's anything much I can say that I haven't said already. We've already established that these are both excellent plants, easy to grow, attractive as far as I'm concerned. But I have made my choice, and I'm going with Aglaonema. I think they're prettier, and they're certainly more varied. I mean, I've seen maybe four varieties of Yucca in my life, but I live with like eleven different Aglaonema varieties. And I know there are others out there that I don't have.


And so it ends, which is lucky for me, because this deal of posting twice a day was wearing me out. (I didn't think these tournament posts really counted as "real" posts, being just me rambling about plants I liked, and why, so I felt like I still needed to supply one "real" post in the mornings. I do have standards. Though I recognize that it's sometimes hard to tell.)

We now resume our regularly scheduled whatever it is.


5 comments:

Rosemary Waigh said...

I am shocked! I was so sure the yucca would win!

Chris said...

Congratulations Aglaonema! Speech!

Claude said...

I demand a recount!

Just wait until the National Association for Succulents, Thorns and Yuccas (NASTY for short) hears about this!

Unknown said...

Four more years! Four more years!
Oh, wait, wrong election, right?
Love the Aglaonema over the Yucca. Common everyplant over exotic fancy schmancy pants for the win!

. said...

YEAH! Congrats, Aglaonema. May your green last for ever.