Wednesday, November 3, 2010

[Exceptionally] Pretty pictures: transmitted light -- Part XXXIV

Five green pictures, five orange pictures.

As I write this, I have no idea how yesterday's election went, but the odds are that I was pleasantly surprised by something and unpleasantly surprised by something else. Since bad news always hits me harder than good, this means I'm probably in a bad mood today. I mean, I saw a "vote no on retention of activist judges" sign1 yesterday in someone's yard while walking Sheba, and it ruined a good chunk of my late morning / early afternoon. And that was just one guy. So today is probably not a good day for me. Be gentle.

(The previous transmitted light posts can be found here.)

Persea americana. We started a couple avocado trees from seed during the winter, less because I had a burning desire to grow avocados than because the husband likes to eat them. One is doing pretty well; I'm having trouble communicating with the other. I pinch it, it grows back one replacement growing tip. I pinch that tip, and it grows one replacement. The first plant understood that it was supposed to branch; I'm not sure why the second one is having such a hard time with the idea.


Unknown Cirsium sp. I was more certain about IDing this as a Cirsium then than I am now.


Salvia elegans, dead(ish) leaf. Arguably closer to pink than to orange, but whatever. When I first put the Salvia elegans outside last spring, some of the leaves turned weird colors from the cold. This is one of those. Not really pretty, exactly, but it's something I didn't know this plant could do.


Solenostemon scutellarioides 'Rustic Orange.' Not especially pretty, but I think the irregular red spots on the underside of the leaf were odd enough to call your attention to.


Populus deltoides. Fairly similar to yesterday's Liriodendron tulipifera photo.


Ambrosia trifida. Probably the prettiest ragweed-related photo you're going to see all month. Lucky you!


Dracaena fragrans 'Massangeana.' Pretty much what you'd expect it to look like, I suppose. The main motivation for taking the picture was that this is a plant we cut back, and the newly-sprouting leaves, once they reached full-size again, looked very pretty.


Malus sp. My favorite from this batch. For some reason, I even kind of dig the blurry bits on the sides.


Zingiber malaysianum. The range of colors I get out of this plant continues to please me. I wish there were some way to do them all at once.


Heuchera 'Venus.' I prefer this to yesterday's Heuchera photo, though not by a lot. There are some very nice Heuchera varieties that are really plain by transmitted light; this isn't one of them.


-

1 (Translation for non-Iowans: "How dare the Iowa Supreme Court try to tell me f*gg*ts are people!")


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here in Maine what can I say - it looks like we will be having a governor who answers NO to every human-kindness question put to him. You're not alone. Women, children and gays watch out. (If that wasn't bad enough he spent his whole campaign using bleepable language. Boy, we're gonna be proud of him!) A good day to sit and talk to the plants.

Nancy in Sun Lakes AZ said...

The Zingiber malaysianum is wonderful! I just love it.