Saturday, January 5, 2019

Anthurium no. 1409 "Ramona West"

From time to time, a seedling will do a little fake-out, making me think that I'm getting one kind of bloom and then actually delivering another. 0330 Faye Quinette was one of the first of these, producing a brown bud that became an orange spathe, and 1731 Robyn Millyonz was another (green bud became a beigey spathe), and now we have Ramona. This was the bud:


And here's what I got:


(And just to be clear that the sides really were different, here's a shot as the bud was opening that shows both at once:)


I'm not sure whether this was an intermediate stage in the process or looks green because of backlighting, but either way it's another photo so here you go:


Ramona isn't otherwise remarkable. One of two blooming seedlings from the 0594 Charity Case, the other being 1362 Jaymee Sexton. The foliage isn't terrible, but I'd be happier if the leaves weren't thrips-scarred at all:


And this photo makes the plant look a bit fuller than it actually is, but it's still of decent size, considering the pot (3 in. / 7.5 cm diagonal).


Not sure what to do with Ramona; the green / pink thing is interesting, but perhaps not quite interesting enough to keep. It'd help to make the decision if I knew whether it would do this consistently, but I've been very bad at taking photos of new blooms. (Bad at keeping up with the Anthuriums in general, actually. I think maybe I'm starting to lose interest? The ongoing thrips problem has ruined them for me a little bit.)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Reckless Gardener here, LOVE the blog even though I started reading after you stopped posting, but such is life right? I have two light pink Anthurium that just set flowers for the first time since I got them! I call it Anthurium no. 1 "The Strangest Person"

Your plants are all indoor? What about using a diluted neonicotinoid based insecticide? Never use them outside on account of them killing any living thing that ingests them like bees and butterflies, but for indoor plants it might do the trick!

I'm not a huge fan of insecticide, but I dosed my indoor plants one time and it helped me get on top of my pest issue. It might be reckless, but I'll be damned if it doesn't get your downed hopes up!