Thursday, February 17, 2011

[Exceptionally] Pretty pictures: transmitted light -- Part XXXIX

It's hard to follow the plant profiles. Even when it's not a great profile, I've put enough effort into it that I usually don't have time to come up with something else. So: transmitted light photos.

(The previous transmitted light posts can be found here.)

Peperomia orba. I don't know why this wound up being such a crappy picture; the leaves are thick, but I've gotten better pictures with thicker leaves before. Unlucky, perhaps.

Taraxacum officinale. This one, on the other hand, is unpleasant because it was taken at the end of fall and the leaf in question was old. There may have been mildew on it too.

Senecio macroglossus.

Fragaria x 'Fort Laramie,' autumn. I was reminded last fall how brilliant the colors can be on strawberry plants. One of those things I knew at one time but forgot about.

Callisia repens.

Colocasia esculenta. If you only concentrate on the darker areas around the main veins, this sort of looks like a few very carefully-arranged green feathers.

Caladium 'Cardinal.'

Weigela florida 'Alexandra.' If I'm reading correctly, the on-line consensus is that this is the same as 'Wine and Roses.' Looks pretty, whatever you call it. A little dark for the yard, maybe.

Stromanthe sanguinea 'Triostar.' These often turn out nicely, but I rarely think that the photo came out looking like the leaf actually looked in person. This one isn't quite right either (though it's still a nice picture).

Quercus sp., autumn. I have a lot of autumn Quercus photos stockpiled; this isn't the best one by a long shot, but it's still my favorite from this set.


5 comments:

Liza said...

I can't imagine how long it takes to create one of your plant profiles - they're so detailed and informative. Must take days and days.

I found it curious that someone who is so curious about life wouldn't be willing to have even a taste of avocado, but when you mentioned the texture thing, I understood. Texture can be a deal breaker.

Ivynettle said...

Love the Colocasia! It would be another candidate for a desktop picture, if I wasn't quite happy with the one I have now.

Anonymous said...

The Wiegela 'Wine and Roses' is spectacular in a yard...i have one at my walkway, surrounded by brighter green plants, and it is stunning! if it was on it's own, i agree that it would be a bit too dark :)

Bom said...

I liked the rawness of the Callisia until I saw the feathery quality of the Colocasia. And, even if you aren't satisfied with your Triostar picture, I actually liked it. Which makes me wonder now how your leaf must look like.

Veggieninja said...

These are beautiful. I particularly like the last one and the Colocasia esculenta. I would absolutely frame them and put them on my wall except they don't match my decore.