Friday, February 26, 2010

Pretty picture: Wilsonara Lisa Devos

I haven't posted any orchid pictures in quite a while, because I just haven't been seeing anything terribly new or interesting lately. I'm not actually especially thrilled with this one either, which either means that I've become jaded already or that the orchid supplier for my ex-work is getting repetitive. Or maybe both!


Still, it's a nice picture, I guess. And actually the growers may not have had a lot of choice: with the recent weather in Florida, I understand a lot of producers lost a lot of plants. Selection is perhaps not what it used to be.

Wilsonara ("Wils.") is a man-made cross of plants from three different genus of orchids: Cochlioda ("Cda."), Odontoglossum ("Odm."), and Oncidium ("Onc."). I don't know anything about how they are to grow. As best as I could determine, the flowers don't have a scent.

The picture gets much bigger, if opened in a separate window. For those of you who are into big orchid pictures.


4 comments:

whygreenberg said...

These would follow standard culture for Oncidium alliance orchids.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps I'm less jaded, but I think it's a gorgeous picture.

Liza said...

She sure is a beauty.

Am I the only one too chicken to enlarge the photo? I have this fear that it will lead to nightmares about being chased by giant Orchids with legs. Hmmm, perhaps I should talk to someone about that...

Aaerelon said...

I really like this orchid. Not really elegant or show stopping, but fun. It looks like it couldn't decide which colour best expressed it's bright and cheerful personality!