Friday, June 18, 2010

Pretty picture: Dendrobium Spider Lily


I don't really get the name on this one. I mean, there are plants that already have the name "spider lily," and they don't look anything like this. So I'm not sure what the orchid-namer was trying to get away with here, but I am not fooled.


It does at least have going for it that it's different from the other Dendrobiums I've seen. I mean, not that those are bad, but I approve of trying to experiment with the formula occasionally. And I really like the spotty/stripey thing that's going on.


7 comments:

Unknown said...

must be a Latouria hybrid, originally from PNG. would like to have one of these. warm growing and they say the flowers can last 2 / 3 months. where did you see this? a photo of the whole plant?

mr_subjunctive said...

This picture (along with several others) comes from an orchid show in Bettendorf, IA last March. I didn't get a photo of the whole plant on most of them; not only were the plants crammed together pretty tightly, making it hard to figure out where one plant stopped and the next one started, but I was trying to get as many pictures of the flowers as I could before my batteries ran out, so taking whole-plant photos wasn't a high priority for me.

Liza said...

Who doesn't like spotty/stripey thingies? I know I'm a fan.

meemsnyc said...

it's so pretty!

ScreamingGreenConure said...

With the food and training issues, you might want to consider clicker training. It gives you the food reward without the conspicuous holding of it, which can be very counterproductive. Hell, I used it to get a cockatiel riding a skateboard, so I am pretty sure you could use it to get a dog to sit, stay, come on call etc.

mooresy said...

i know this is old but it the closer i look at the pic it doesn't look like the Den SPider Lilly

mr_subjunctive said...

TD Moore:

Well, it's always possible that it's not Den Spider Lily. That's the name it was exhibited under at the orchid show in 2010 (this post), 2011, and 2012, but it wouldn't be the first time something was mis-tagged.