Friday, June 17, 2016

Anthurium no. 0217 "Vivacious"

Apologies, but this post is going to have to be pretty quick and basic, because yesterday's post took me an awful lot of time to write1 and I had been hoping to get yesterday's, today's, and tomorrow's posts all written in one sitting. So.

0217 Vivacious has pretty nice blooms, or would if the thrips didn't chew them up so much:


Nothing particularly new, colorwise; they're similar to those of 0083 Carmen Adairya, 0214 Anita Knapp, or 0440 Elsa Friesanova.2 The blooms are medium-large, and decently long-lived, though the thrips continue to attack them throughout their whole life, so by the time the spathe begins to die, the inflorescence is no longer even remotely attractive. Bloom frequency is about average.

The foliage has improved since I started blasting the leaves with water,3 though not enough.


Nothing particularly notable about Vivacious overall; there are a moderate number of suckers. It doesn't show up well in the photo below, but the internodal distance is something of a concern too:


Vivacious would probably be a keeper if the thrips could be eradicated. But that's quite the if.

-

1 Not that most of the words I wrote were actually published -- I wrote a lot and then deleted a lot. Which, honestly, you should probably thank me for. I was pretty upset.
2 (as well as Carmen's likely clones 0555 Mystique Summers Madison and 0556 Frank Lee Grande)
3 Though there are indications lately that spraying with water might be encouraging and spreading a bacterial pathogen. Because I need a third thing to fight. I'll have to tell you more about that when I have more time.


No comments: